Don't miss updates Subscribe
Father’s Day is quickly approaching, and it’s a holiday you shouldn’t overlook. After almost two years of bouncing between physical isolation, masked in-person gatherings and seemingly never-ending virtual activities, consumers are more excited than ever to celebrate their dads’ special day this year.
According to research, 76% of consumers are planning on celebrating the holiday this year. In addition, Father’s Day expenditure in the United States has been steadily increasing since 2018, topping $20 billion in 2021, and is expected to increase even more this year.
Retailers and brands should plan on taking advantage of the holiday excitement and increases in overall spending by strategically planning their marketing strategies for Father’s Day. We searched the web for the best plan of action, and here’s what we found:
- Determine your target audience & who they are shopping for
- Focus on attracting the audience to your online environment
- Explore your creativity & keep consumers coming back for more
1. Exploring What It Means To “Celebrate Your Dad”
It’s 2022, and that means it is time to ditch the boring Father’s Day gifts of a tool-kit or a homemade card. Whether consumers are shopping for their father, grandfather, stepfather, husband, uncle or any father figure in their lives, gift options are endless and retailers have the opportunity to really sell their product.
Who is making worthwhile purchases? In 2020, consumers aged 35-44 spent the most per-person when buying gifts for Father’s Day, reaching almost $210 per person. In 2022, it is expected that consumers will spend about $172 on average for gifts.
What are they buying? According to an NRF survey, Most people said they wanted to find unique gifts that create a special memory—and that they are looking to retailers to suggest what might be best. When father’s were asked to rank what they would most enjoy as a Father’s Day gift, some of the most popular answers included an experience (going on a hike or to the beach), clothing, tools and hobby items (golf clubs, biking equipment).
2. Create the Most Efficient Online Experience
Approximately 57% of consumers buying gifts for Father’s Day will do so online. Almost every retailer has an ecommerce platform, so if you want to make the most of the holiday this year, it’s time to set yourself apart from the rest.
We have researched some of the best digital strategies, and they include:
- Feature a Father’s Day Gift Guide
- Hold a Social Media Contest
- Have “Limited-Time” Offers
These additions to your ecommerce environment will not only catch the eye of the thousands of Americans shopping for their dads, but also make the process easy for consumers. If your online experience can eliminate some of the stressors that come from buying a gift for dad, you will create loyal, returning customers.
3. Make The Campaign Pop!
There are thousands of brands brainstorming Father’s Day campaigns, and when you are trying to stand out from the rest, it is so important to remember to be playful. Just because we are celebrating adults, doesn’t mean you have to lose the fun. Explore the creativity of your brand and make your marketing strategies memorable for your consumer.
Some examples of the nation’s favorite Father’s Day campaigns include:
- Stella Artois’s heartwarming campaign that not only includes humor in stereotypes, but fatherly love.
- Gilette’s “Go Ask Dad” campaign hit at consumer’s emotions by reminding them that your father is someone who needs you, just as much as you need them.
- Budweiser’s “Father’s Who Stepped Up” campaign broke the internet by honoring “untraditional” dads.
- Cheerio’s focused on humor during their Father’s Day campaign, “How To Dad.” The silly, relatable advertisement drove consumers to remember the brand.
No matter what type of marketing strategies your brand decides to use for Father’s Day, it is no question that the holiday is important for brands to remember. Take advantage of consumer’s excitement by planning early and perfecting your Father’s Day messaging.
Have fun celebrating any father figure that may be in your life. They bring wisdom, humor and love to our lives, and we appreciate them endlessly. Happy Father’s Day!